Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sunny Sunday Glass of Wine, Browns Bay, Take 2

I tried to shake off the mood post my first attempt to find a glass of wine in the sun, and wandered down the road looking for a better option.  I didn't go far. The first bar I came to was Tropicana Bar and Bistro.

Imagine eight or so rickety tables with chairs. No sun. A building site next door. One woman on her own, two older couples. Very quiet. Of course, my confidence-wilted brain only processed "quiet", "older" and "table" and promptly settled for what was to be a fully lacklustre experience.

I put my bag on the seat and walked into the totally empty bar.  The first wine I ordered (bog standard Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc yet the menu's most exclusive offering), wasn't available. Confidence flagging further, I accepted a glass of Sav of which I had never heard. $8.  I asked what was being built next door. "Some shops I think" came the reply. So back outside I went with glass in hand.

I  sipped my wine and looked around me.  Then I opened my book.  The wine was ok.  The quiet relentless.  At one point I looked up thinking everyone else must have left, only to spot a new, younger couple at the next table, and the others still there. We exchanged smiles.  I went back to my book.

Recommendation: Really not worth $8, even for the quiet. I could have sat at home in the sun with a decent glass of wine and my book, and enjoyed it more.

Rating: 2 stars (out of 5)
1 for actually serving me. 1 for the absence of louts.

Lessons Learned: Don't let what you don't want, dictate what you settle for.  My confidence got knocked and I realised that I let one bar with poor service and a spotty punk affect my judgement. On my way home, I walked past a much nicer looking bar with sun, seats and people enjoying themselves.  So next time, I'm going to keep walking until I find something that actually looks like an experience I'll enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment